The program was developed to help health care providers quickly identify more sustainable products. Greenhealth Approved reduces the time-consuming and sometimes costly product reviews that are needed to research and interpret sustainability features.
The Greenhealth Approved seal is currently applicable to products meeting Health Care Without Harm’s Safer Chemicals criteria including:
Products that expand on the categories* listed are being evaluated for inclusion. As the program expands, other sustainability factors may be included and evaluated.
*For products that address different sustainability issues or are not within one of the Greenhealth Approved categories, please complete the application. We will contact you to better understand your product(s).
Submission of a product for review is not an indication of future licensing.
No. The Greenhealth Approved seal helps purchasers easily identify products that meet sustainability criteria without the need to do their own research and screening. It is not a product endorsement.
The seal represents a product that has been evaluated against and met a set of criteria and has been reviewed for functionality in a health care setting. There may be more than one manufacturer with similar or like products that carry the seal.
By participating in the Greenhealth Approved program, suppliers can signal to purchasers that their product(s) meet Health Care Without Harm’s criteria and have been vetted by a trusted source. The seal allows potential buyers to quickly identify product(s) as meeting a set of sustainability requirements without the need for in-house research and screening.
The seal on products does not prohibit purchasers from using their existing group purchasing organization or local/regional contracts that might be in place. Therefore, the seal aligns easily with current purchasing practices, while providing enhanced confidence in meeting providers’ sustainability goals.
- Review the overarching process to get the seal.
- Visit the webpage for your product category and review the criteria and specific requirements. Note: A comprehensive review and sound understanding of the relevant criteria is necessary to ensure that products meet the criteria requirements.
- Download the intake form relevant to the category.
- Follow the application process and submit the application and completed form. The Greenhealth Approved team will review your submission and contact you to work through the remaining components of the review, including execution of the agreement and screening of the product(s).
Identifying sustainable products in a health care setting often requires time-consuming research and sourcing. The Greenhealth Approved program:
- Saves staff time and effort around researching product requirements for sustainability attribute screening.
- Extends and expands staff knowledge through Greenhealth Approved materials and education.
- Allows staff to focus on other critical functions rather than researching sustainability product attributes.
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth along with the Greenhealth Exchange developed the Greenhealth Approved seal to assist the entire health care market with the identification of products that meet criteria for sustainability.
The Greenhealth Approved seal does not interfere with current procurement pathways. Purchasers can continue to use existing procurement strategies, group purchasing organization relationships, processes, and priorities. The seal allows for quick identification of products meeting our sustainability criteria for more rapid selection and implementation.
BIFMA LEVEL certifies furniture products by reviewing corporate, facility, and product manufacturing processes across Environmental Impact, Health and Wellness, and Social Responsibility categories. Together, the impact areas and categories review the entire life cycle of the product and ensure sustainable practices in all areas. The BIFMA LEVEL program has three performance tiers; LEVEL 1, 2, and 3 - products must meet a minimum level to be certified and the more criteria a product meets the higher the product ascends from LEVEL 1 to 2 to 3.
Optional credit 7.4.4 within the BIFMA certification utilizes the criteria of Health Care Without Harm for furnishings. Therefore, BIFMA certification that includes achievement of this optional credit signifies validation of the products against the criteria